An affiliate program is an agreement in which a business pays another business or influencer (‘the affiliate’) a commission for sending traffic and/or sales their way. This can be achieved through web content, social media, or a product integration or in this case email spamming
Many legitimate companies have affiliate programs.
- Spammer signs up for many affiliates programs
- Spammer sends millions of emails with image and link to their site
- Link redirects through multiple servers to be able to redirect to another site as their sites are continually taken down
- User clicks a link on spammer’s site which contains spammer’s affiliate ID and is taken to legitimate company site
- If user purchases the item, the spammer is paid a fee, often 10-15% the purchase price